Sunday, October 25, 2009

Adventures of Spiffy Part 4


Well I am really feeling a lot better now and apparently so is Hobbesy. When they took Hobbes to the vet, the vet was very pleased with him and he is now starting to get better. It just took him a bit longer than me, I guess because he is so much older. So isn’t that great, he gets to keep all 4 legs! He has even had a couple of walks over to my house and it was so nice to see him. Hobbes, Albert and me, we all stay inside at night now. We like to be able to go outside when we want to, but it really is much safer for us if we stay inside after dark. All the doors get closed including the pet flaps. I never liked using that pet flap anyway, its too big for me. It was really for Kathryn’s dogs that she used to have years ago and I have never liked using it so now I just insist on someone opening a proper door for me or I use that yellow litter tray. I’ve got used to it now, and its not so bad if there is no-one around.
The funny thing was, Kathryn was trying to get me to use the pet flap again so she propped it up onto a stool so I didn’t have to push it with my head. I didn’t use it anyway even though it was propped open. And then, one day, Kathryn walked through to the kitchen and there was old Albert in the kitchen eating the rest of my breakfast that I had left for later!!! He must have thought an open pet flap was an invitation for him to come in. It seems Albert & Hobbes were very welcome guests at my house before I lived here. It gave Kathryn a bit of a fright when she was expecting to see me in the kitchen and there was Albert! And Albert certainly got a fright! He took off the wrong way towards the family room and Kathryn was calling to him, “Albert you have to go out the way you came in!” I think she was a bit worried that if I saw him there might be another cat fight! But I was pretty relaxed, lying in a lovely warm sunny patch on the pool table. Kathryn’s put a towel there to stop the pool table from getting my cat hair all over it, so she must know I sleep there sometimes. She’s got towels all over the house now but she can’t keep up with all the nice new spots I keep finding. Well, I’m spending so much more time inside now, and I need a change of scene every few hours.
Anyway, when I went back to the vet, Kathryn put me in a normal storage box without a lid, to travel in the car. She knows I can behave very well in the car now. The only thing was, she put the lid on to take me into the vet’s waiting room, for my own safety, she tried to tell me! How embarrassing. And the vet thought it was very funny because it said “Baking things” on the lid. Kathryn had previously used the box when she was moving house. I didn’t think that was funny.
When we went into the surgery, it was a man who took out those stringy things they call ‘stitches’. He was very nice too. Kathryn said she’d never seen a man there before, they were usually all women at this vet practice. He agreed that male vets were a dying breed, the profession was being taken over by women.
He checked me over, no temperature this time – phew!!
There was no money to pay this time either. Post-operative care is apparently free. So we very happily went home again.
We’d just like to really thank the Duncraig Veterinary Hospital for taking such good care of Hobbesy and me. All the people who work at Duncraig Vet are really nice, friendly, caring and professional people and we really appreciate the very good treatment that we got there. Dr Sally looked after both Hobbesy and me and she was lovely to us both. Unfortunately, we didn’t get the man’s name that took out my stitches, but he was nice too, (and he knows who he is :)). Even Ollie, the ginger cat that welcomes everyone to the Duncraig Vet was nice to me, and I appreciate that.

1 comment:

Alden Smith said...

Spiffy, as you are having all those adventures I think it is a very good thing that you have nine lives, you may need them. And I have to tell you, you and my cat Zebby are the almost exactly the same in every way (except for the accents, the 'iao' in miaow is pronounced differently in both countries).