Monday, July 14, 2008

Life and death

Today is the 3rd anniversary of my Mother's death in Christchurch, New Zealand.
Her last years on this earth were difficult and very sad for her because she was suffering from Alzheimer's for a long time before any body realized. She was often upset, angry and demanding and we didn't understand why. My Dad did everything for her in their later years until she turned against him too and eventually she was hospitalised and wouldn't even see Dad at all.
We just always thought she was a really difficult person to get on with. And 3 years after her death, we are all still thinking about how it could have been so different for our whole family if people in the medical profession had listened to my sisters and to me, as far back as 1982.

Then today, I learned that my Mum's younger sister Barbara, my Godmother, passed away in England. She had been very sick for a long time and many people had been praying for her health and her salvation. Well she wasn't healed, but we're pretty sure she was saved, and went peacefully to her maker.

With the time difference between UK and NZ, it seems that my Mum and my Godmother actually both passed away on the same date, just 3 years apart.

So, Christine and Barbara, it's my prayer that you are both together again now, after all those years apart, safe and content in the arms of Jesus.

4 comments:

Alden Smith said...

My commiserations Katherine. Unfortunately these occurences are going to become more frequent as we all become older.
I know how you feel about your mother's condition. My father had Parkinson's Disease and there was a lot of dementia at the end. It was not a happy time for anyone. He lived his three score years and ten but my brother Peter ( the oldest of us 9 Smith children) passed away last year to cancer at 61 years so this has been a wake up call to us all.
It is somewhat of a cliche but we really should try and give thanks for each day and try and make the fullest use of it as we can.

Kathryn said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly, we who are so fortunate to be blessed with good health, a happy home life and a good job, shouldn't waste a day!
My Dad is here in Perth now and he is quite happy here. He has had a couple of health scares but on the whole he keeps quite well. He was about 76 when he decided to come to Perth, after the big crisis with Mum. It was a very brave thing for him to do.
I'm sorry to hear of your family's losses too, 61 is too young.

Alden Smith said...

Now, Come on Kathryn, get that digital camera out, take a photo of one of your watercolours and post it on your Blog - and I'm not going to stop nagging until you do.

Kathryn said...

And, yes, as soon as I get a few minutes to myself, I might just get some photographs organised for my Blog!
Thank you for your 'encouragement', Tillerman.
:-)